Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Holy Guacamole, ThatsAlottaRocks! WIP Wednesday

I've finally got the first cut completed and can move on to cut number two. Pictured below is about 4-1/2 lbs. of cabochons, or one and a half Mason jars (only the best high tech equipment for me).

The first cut includes trimming the slabs and shaping the cabochons. It's really more of a grinding process. Cut number two uses a finer grit disc and is a refinement of the first cut. Once cut number two is completed the stones can be tumbled; a four stage process that also requires thoroughly washing each stone between tumbles. So there's still quite a bit of work to do before these beauties will be finished cabochons. Then there's the reality that about 15 to 20% of the stones will have to be re-cut or discarded due to imperfections (crazes or bugs) that were not visible before the tumbling began. Crazes are cracks or fissures, bugs are pits or voids. But the 80 to 85% that finish well will make it all worth while.

One of my next projects will be to update and market my gemstone website. You can visit that web site at: http://www.gemalchemy.com
My jewelry and sculpture web site: http://www.lunarskies.com

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's alot of stones! I didn't realize you sold the individual gemstones. I'll keep you in mind for future projects! Nice work. ~ Deb

    ReplyDelete